Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Diganosis Confirmation

Well, I do have gestational diabetes. The good new is that I just BARELY have it. My control blood sample was normal, and the first hour blood draw was normal; however, my third blood draw came out ONE point above normal, and my fourth blood draw came out TWO points above normal. So I just barely slid under the door into the GD category.

The other good new is that I don't have to cut out all of my sweets. I can still have an occasional treat without worrying. The bad news is I have to go to diabetic counseling next week where I will receive a diet and exercise plan accompanied with a glucose meter. I will have to check my blood sugar a few times throughout the day, including after the three big meals, for the next few weeks. If things stay under control, I will only have to check my blood sugar a couple of times a day for the duration of my pregnancy. All in all, it is a better outcome than I predicted, but still a slight bummer.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to find I had gained only one pound since my last appointment almost three weeks ago. That is a vast improvement over the 10 pounds I gained between that appointment and the one four weeks before. I wanted to clap my hands with glee when I saw the scale today. I could have sworn I packed on 5 pounds in the past three weeks, so you can imagine how happy I was that it was only one. :D

I definitely don't feel as depressed after today as I did yesterday after I got the call from the nurse. I am really happy that it wasn't worse. As long as I watch what I eat from here on out, the GD won't be a problem at all.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary