Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Surprise of All Surprises! (A MUST read!)

I don't even know how to begin this post, but it is most definitely one of the most exciting things I have blogged about yet. I have been mulling over how I would word it, how I would start it out, how I would break the news for days now, and I still have no clue how to do it. There are just no words to express the excitement in our little home right now. Perhaps I will use a picture to tell what is going on. Please excuse the fuzziness, but it is apparently difficult for any camera to zoom in on the key feature of this photograph, but I am sure you will all get the point.


That's right friends, the one who 100% completely gave up hope of ever seeing such a message from a long-time hated enemy has finally seen what I thought I would never see in my lifetime. I am pregnant! :o

Apparently the dizzy spells I had over a week ago were brought on by implantation. I wondered at the time if that was the cause, but as a very skeptical infertile who had completely given up on the possibility of motherhood, I chose to believe it was a strange format of migraine. When the dizziness didn't cease by the following Tuesday, I made a doctor appointment and point blank refused to take a pregnancy test when she suggested it, even though my monthly visitor was a day late, and she's never late.

Then on Thursday I had my first appointment with my new OB/GYN, to which I made Hubs go. I had set up the appointment a month ago after I spotted an entire 7 days before my unwanted visitor showed. So when I informed her that AF was now three days late, she of course wanted to do a pg test. I told her flat out no. This was after I had given her my entire IF history, so she was very sensitive to my emotional needs, but asked me three more times if I would please take a pg test. I finally relented, but mostly because I did have to pee really bad. A few minutes later, my doctor came in, leaned over me, and whispered in my ear, "It was positive. You're pregnant." Of course I instantly began to cry, and looked over at my sweetie for his reaction, who was still quite skeptical, as we have had a false positive pg test at a doctor's office before (I couldn't see a line, on the false positive test, but the nurses swore they could).

My doctor and her nurse told me the line was faint, but it was absolutely there. I asked if they were sure, because I had been told that once before. Then I asked to see the test. The nurse happily brought in my test, and sure enough, the pink line WAS there. I spent the rest of my appointment in a fog while my doctor talked to me about blood tests and prenatal vitamins. I just couldn't believe it. When I left her office I called all of my family members to break the news, and of course I cried every time I told someone new. It still wasn't sinking in at this point, however. I don't think it really sunk in until yesterday morning when I got up and took my first home pregnancy test just to confirm the positive result, and sure enough, it came back Pregnant.

Over the weekend the idea has slowly began to sink in. Today we headed over to B&N to buy the book, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and the new "Eating Well When You're Expecting." The most interesting thing I read so far is that your 9 months begins at your last period, which means I am considered already a month along. The only symptom that is lingering is the sore, swelling "girls." The dizziness subsided after my doctor appointment on Tuesday. I have been a bit exhausted, but that is pretty normal for me. I don't have morning sickness (yet), but I have had some slight cramping. I had a tiny bit of spotting after my exam on Thursday, but that has subsided as well.

The next few weeks will be interesting since we get our puppy this Saturday. I have done almost everything I need to to prepare for her homecoming, but I still need to clean out the puppy crate and get it set up. I purchased a few toys for her, and have all of the other essentials like tag, collar, and leash. I ordered her and Mags a bag of locally made organic dog food, and it showed up on Friday. I guess I am more ready for her than I feel like I am.

The most interesting part about all of this is that I honest to God gave up on ever being pregnant, and now here I am, encouraging my little poppy seed to grow and thrive. What an amazing surprise for our family.

22 Thoughts:

kam said... [Reply to comment]

That is so exciting! Congratulations you guys! I am super excited for you!

YAY!

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

oh YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

I actually clapped when I saw that picture. OH I'm SO happy for you :D:D:D Congratulations!!!! :D:D:D:D

Jen D. said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats to you guys! I am SO happy for you!!! You'd better call me Sat. when you're down in Austin ;)

Kara said... [Reply to comment]

Very exciting, you must be thrilled!

Congrats!

KE II said... [Reply to comment]

WOW WOW WOW.... when I started reading the post I was silently praying that that was what it was going to say!!! That is just absolutely AWESOME news, I am so so happy to read that, yahoo!!! ((HUGS))

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations!!
I am a firm believer that the greatest things come when we least expect them.
*hugs*

La La said... [Reply to comment]

HOLY CRAP!!!! This the the best news EVER!!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I read your post today, OMG!!! I can't even tell you how excited I am!!!!!! (((HUGS))) and CONGRATULATIONS!

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Oh wow, oh wow, oh hooray, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so pleased for you and Adam. Michelle, may you enjoy every moment of your pregancy and enjoy being a mum forever.
Kisses, hugs, love and stuff, Liz

finallyitcouldbe said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations, fantastic news

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

That is SO wonderful Michelle! I am really pleased for you. I hope it all goes smoothly and perfectly.

One request to the ether - please don't let this increase the amount of times people tell me to give up, b/c "that's when it happens." I've given up lots of times already. By that reasoning, I should have 15 kids.

Sorry for the PSA - I just hate that kind of gloating. The real thing is that you are pregnant, and that is wonderful!
B

TTCinDC said... [Reply to comment]

that is such thrilling news. congratulations!!!

Chelle said... [Reply to comment]

Barb, I hope that you don't really feel like I was gloating in this post, or that I would imply or even tell a fellow IFer to "give up and then it will happen." I admit that I was excited about my news, but up until 6 days ago, I was in a dark place feeling like I would never be a mother. So much so that I refused to take a pregnancy test at two different doctor's offices.

I would never tell anyone else to give up. I've been on the receiving end of those words just as much as any other infertility patient, and they are biting, cruel words when all you want is to become a mother. I know what it feels like to give up, and how depressing the thought is. I realize that I am now among those who "gave up and got pregnant," but it doesn't make me insensitive to people who are still struggling with infertility.

Because I walked the path for over two years, I know how much the "assvice" is unwanted and hurts. They are thoughtless words, and I hope that no one who knows what I have been through to get here honestly thinks I would turn off my sensitive switch and all of a sudden start spouting them off to others.

My current situation will not change where I have been, only where I will go from here. I won't forget how hard the struggle is, and as always, choose to help other people who are in those shoes with the knowlege and experience I gained through my own struggles.

Please, don't take my excitement as gloating. It is only excitement and finally the hope that has been missing from our lives for years. Nothing more. Please also don't think that I will become insensitive to those around me who still struggle.

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

Just stumbled onto your blog. Congratulations!

Lost in Space said... [Reply to comment]

Stopping by from la la's blog to say Congrats!!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my goodness Michelle - no I wasn't talking to you! I didn't take your post as gloating at all! I was more requesting it of your readership in general. I've seen lots of people do that in blog comments and hoped it wouldn't happen here. I thought your post was tasteful and exciting. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable.
xo
B

louise said... [Reply to comment]

I am so, so pleased to hear your good news. Congratulations to the two of you. x

Cece said... [Reply to comment]

Hurrah! This is SO EXCITING!

sara said... [Reply to comment]

Followed you over from La la's blog and just wanted to say hi and a big congrats on your good news. This is great to hear!

MC said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations!! How truly wonderful!!!

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

I was sent over by Mrs. LaLa. Congrats!! That's so exciting!!! We've been trying for about 5 years and have pretty much given up but you give us hope. Thanks! I hope it's okay I continue to follow your journey! I also have a blog if you would like to follow. www.twondra.blogspot.com

Again congrats! I hope you have a great 9 months!!

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you. I was so happy while reading your post, that I found myself crying. I hope you don't have much morning sickness, but if you do, I have a few tips I can share to help minimize the sickness. Also there is one essential book you must get. It's called "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy. She makes you laugh and tells a little more accurately what sorts of fun things happen to your body during pregnancy. I didn't stop laughing until I put the book down.

Again, congratulations!!!

Meridith said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations....

I found your blog through a search for "infertility"... glad to see that there are happy endings (((hugs)))

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary