Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bad Dog!!!

Moving is a big deal for any dog, and can sometimes be a very traumatic experience. I know and understand this, so in anticipation of our move, I hit the local Petco to buy the doggie version of a Glade scented oil plug-in with what they call "Doggie Appeasing Pheromones" (DAP). This scent is supposed to calm and soothe dogs during traumatic experiences. However, we thought that Mags handled the move like a champ and that we didn't need to use the DAP to soothe her. I even said as much to a coworker this afternoon. This is her second move in her short 2.5 year life, and I thought that this time around we weren't going to experience any strange dog behavior.

The first time we moved it was from our apartment to our town home. She had been to the town home many times before we actually moved, so she had the chance to become accustomed to the new place. However, during the first week that we were in our new place, Mags peed a gigantic yellow puddle in a hidden corner of the living room. Fortunately for her, Hubs was out of town and had no idea she had done this. Unfortunately for me, it was on some seriously crappy berber carpet that soaked up stains like that was what it was meant to do. It took me months and gallons of floor cleaning chemicals before the stain was finally eradicated.

On top of her pee stain, she also decided that she all of a sudden liked drinking out of toilets. She NEVER drank out of a toilet in our apartment, but for some reason decided she liked the flavor of the new toilet water. Especially when it had been treated with bleach tabs. We adjusted quickly to this new like of hers by learning to always put the toilet seat down. Then one day, she decided to chew on one of our wooden stairs. She had NEVER chewed on anything that wasn't hers let alone furniture! But thank heaven that was the extent of her moving trauma last time.

This time around I figured she was doing better because she had moved once before, and after three weeks of her excellent behavior, figured we were in the clear for moving trauma. WRONG!!!!

I want to breed Mags one day and keep one of her pups so that I always have a little piece of her when she passes on in 12+ years from now, so I haven't had her fixed. She went into heat this past weekend, which is seriously inconvenient because all of her doggie undies are in the storage unit with all the rest of our stuff. No big deal though, I just went to Target and picked her up some new supplies. This might be a bit TMI, but I just take little girls undies and put a pantie liner in them to keep her from spotting everywhere. After removing her underoos one night to take her out to do her biz, I realized the pad was missing. I didn't think too much about it because she usually rips them out and tears them up all over some place in the house. It wasn't until the second pad went missing that I realized I hadn't seen either of them torn up anywhere.... She had eaten them. WHAT THE DEUCE DOG?!?!

Tonight Hubs and I went out for some dinner and a bit of shopping (I bought the AWESOMEST red leather coat at Wilsons for half off!). When we returned home, I walked into the kitchen to find the garbage bag tipped over, and the kitchen floor covered in torn up garbage. Maggie has NEVER gotten into the garbage ever! I just about died. I couldn't believe it. WHAT THE DEUCE DOG?!?!

Needless to say, I don't think she will be getting any supper tonight since she has already helped herself to the garbage, and I'll be lucky if I don't get woken up by the sound and smell of her puking later tonight, and she will be crated when we leave the house for the interim, which hasn't happened for about two years now.

Seriously, WHAT THE DEUCE DOG?!?!

5 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

"What the Deuce Dog?!" Seriously Mitchell, you crack me up!! Jen in the ATX :)

louise said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle, maybe Mags is feeling a bit homesick too, and not too sure of her surroundings, and decided to wonder around to investigate, to see what she could get up to, whilst you, her usual company, were out! I hope eating the garbage didn't make her ill. Michelle, can you explain what a 'deuce dog' is, we don't use that expression over here in the UK! I think we would just say 'bad doggie'! x

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, you just made me sooooooo glad i'm getting my puppy fixed in 2 weeks. I don't think I could handle seeing her wearing little girls panties. Its disturbing yet very funny all at the same time! lol!
Btw, I hope Mags settles down soon for you guys - and I hope she didn't get sick either....cleaning up doggy puke (well, any puke) is just groooooooss. :P

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Lots of changes!! She's just coming out of the shock of the changes to act out on it.

Lots of love to you all as she deals. :)

Chelle said... [Reply to comment]

Louise, in answer to your question, "deuce" is a slang term that means "devil" or "dickens." So it would be the same as saying, "What the devil (dickens), dog?!" I technically did not punctuate my sentence correctly, which I'm sure added to the confusion regarding the term. Its actually an older English term that I picked up from reading "The Forsyte Saga" by John Gallsworthy, which was written in the late 1800s or early 1900s, I can't remember which.

So now you have learned a new term and a bit about a wonderful book. :D

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary