Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

YAY! BOO!

The fabulous news about today is that we closed on our house this morning! We are now officially the owners of our first home that does not share walls with any other house. I was asked many times today if I was nervous or sick about signing on the house, which seemed like an odd question to me until I reflected on why people would be asking me that question. I guess for some people such a large purchase would be cause for such feelings of trepidation and fear. Me? I was totally excited and couldn't get the keys to the house fast enough!

We stopped by the house this morning to do our final inspection and walk-through before heading off to our closing, and I have to say I really feel bad for the woman who owned the house before us. That house was spic and span! I told Hubs I am sure she was there all night cleaning up, and I was right. She told me at our closing that she had been there until 3:00 a.m. We stopped by the house again after the signing and started to take a look at what projects we wanted to tackle right off besides the painting and new flooring. It was then that the amount of work we needed to put in really came to light. Its a bit more than we thought. I admit, some of it is because I am just that picky; I am going to go through and replace every single light switch, plug, and plate cover that is not white. That one is going to hurt. Some of it isn't that I am so much picky, as neither of us feels that we can live with certain things the way they are, such as the horrible baseboards that we didn't notice we so horrible until tonight. We also noticed for the first time that all of the cabinetry in the house leaves a lot to be desired. I know what you're all thinking: How did we not notice all of this before? Well, I'm not sure, other than to say that we must not have really been paying close enough attention. Oh well, its our house now, so all we can do is either live with it, or cough up the cash to change it. I'm sure it will be the latter.

The bad news we received today came in waves. The first wave was when the guy who was supposed to come in this weekend and paint called and cancelled because a storm blew through last night that took off part of the roof on his house. We feel bad for him, but it sure did leave us in a lurch, since ALL of our move-in plans were timed based on getting our house painted. We can't put in our hardwood floors until the walls are painted. We don't want to move in furniture until the hardwood floors are in. This news really took away from Hubs' ability to be excited and happy after closing. It didn't put as much of a damper on mine because I knew he would get it figured out within the hour, and he did. Instead of our house being painted on Saturday and Sunday, its now going to be painted tomorrow and Saturday. Sweet!

The second wave of bad news hit while I was ordering my lunch. I had planned to fly home this weekend to surprise my family who are all in town this weekend at my parent's house. (This was the surprise I alluded to in a blog I wrote earlier this week.) All of us kids are in different time zones now, so being able to get us all together is a big deal. No one knew I was going home except for my little brother, who was going to pick me up from the airport. But somehow I've known for the last two days that I wasn't going to get to go home. I don't know how I knew, but I did. I got a call from the airline this afternoon telling me that my flight had been cancelled. My only other flight options at that point were not good, so I had to opt for a refund. I called my family and told them about what had happened, and they are all just as bummed as I am. Yeah, I cried. I guess I will just take the money from my plane ticket and put it into the house now. My weekend will now be occupied replacing plugs, light switches, door knobs, and whatever else I want to change that I can afford right now.

To my family: I really did try to come home this weekend. Believe me, I am totally bummed about it; however, I am sure you will all still have a fabulous time regardless.

To Dudela: Enjoy your party. I'm sorry I can't be there. I guess I will just have to send you a nice presie instead. Congratulations on your big day. I love you toady!

4 Thoughts:

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

Hey! Congrats on closing on your house!!! That is fabulous!
It will all work out perfectly, I am sure of it.
And no rain or tornadoes for us this weekend, at least you have that in your favor.
*hugs*

Kara said... [Reply to comment]

OMG - Major apology to you... I'm so sorry - I just realized that I forgot to add you back to my blog -friend-roll list on my blog and will be doing so right now. It will be a looooong time before I change my blog background/template thingy. Ok enough about me!

CONGRATS on the new house - great news and sorry about the pooch. I'm sure you all or rather Y'all are just getting your bearings and settling down into the new city.

Looking forward to hearing more!

louise said... [Reply to comment]

When you buy a place, even after viewing it two or three times, you only notice the plus points. It isn't until you move in that you realise how much really has to be done like scraping off of wallpaper, ripping up of carpets, and how much garden maintenance will be involved! It takes time to make it your home, we have lived in our current place for coming up to 10 years now, and it still isn't how I really want it, but it is getting there! You will make it your home sweet home, once you get your belongings in, and Mags! x

Steph said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Chelle!
I miss you! I have been trying to get to your blog to read about your life since you haven't been on IM since you moved. I am happy to hear you found a house and have nice projects in store to keep you busy and not think of the things you miss. I am also happy you have found a pal to hang around with and go on "girly" errands that always seem to come up! I hope to be in touch with you soon. Please email me your address! I would love to have it.
Steph

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary