I've been trying to tell myself, and everyone else for that matter, that it is just because the past two months have been high stress, and I am trying to figure out a situation that is completely new. I'm in a new job, in a new city, in a new state, in temporary housing, and trying to buy a new house. Somehow, I can't help but feel like I'm not only a little bit nuts, but also trying to make excuses for my lack of short-term memory. It actually kind of scares me a bit, even though I know its completely normal and I'm not making excuses.
Friday afternoon I realized how much short-term information I was not retaining while trying to learn a new computer program at work. In a moment of panic and despair, I sought out my new best friend. I just want to say, I sure did pick a wonderful woman to be my new best friend. She told me exactly what I had already been thinking about my lack of memory retention, but put it in such a way that made me feel so much better about it. She also reminded me that all of my comfort items (such as my furniture, pictures, etc.,) are all in storage, so I have precious few of my personal items in my possession right now to comfort me. All I have with me from home is what I could fit in my little car when we moved here four weeks ago, which is not very much at all. She reminded me that my situation right now is extremely high stress, and that what I'm experiencing is completely normal. How does she know so well what I'm going through? She went through the same thing herself not too long ago. She even has the same car as me, so we both know how precious little space we both had to pack belongings into. She has only been here a short amount of time longer than me, and only started working at our office a week before me.
The more I get to know my new friend, the more it becomes obvious we were meant to be best friends. We have almost the world in common. We lived and grew up in the same state, went to the same university, frequented the same buildings at the university, lived in the same places after college, frequented the same places, drive the same car, love the same books, the list just goes on and on. I feel so extremely blessed to know such a wonderful woman and to be able to call her my new best friend. Our friendship is only going to grow and grow the more we get to know each other and are here to support each other through this high stress time in our lives. We have both recently stated we need haircuts, I think I foresee a Girl's Day Out in the near future. :D






8 Thoughts:
Thanks for your comment. I always like to know who is reading and I haven't come across your blog yet. I added you to my google reader list and will look forward to reading your past blog posts.
May I steal your dinner idea? What a great way to get a date after a stressful IF day!
A good friend...truly you will be best friends...surviving through the tough times and celebrating the good ones! Hope today is filled with happy thoughts and lots of rest as you ready your new home!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
It sounds as though you are living your life all at once these days and it is no wonder that something's gotta give. My memory is always on the blink and I don't have a fraction of the stress that you have right now.
It is so good that you have a new friend to share these difficult times with.. A friend in need is a friend indeed!
Hope the dust settles soon Chelle and you can start to build your and feather your nest.
Much love
Michelexx
Hi Michelle, I think you have found a friend for life there, and you were meant to meet, too many coincidences. x
A good friend is worth so much more than any value you could ever place! I am so glad to read that things are going better for your homesickness. Hope you had a lovely weekend!!
How cool!! What a lucky lucky bit of fate! :) I'm so happy you have someone so great to bond with. And you know you're right. It IS the stress.
I can totally relate to college. I think I had 15 credits ONE semester. The rest were 17 or 18. I had 2 that were 19. Fun times.
Isn't it great to be an overachiever?
xo
I'm so glad you found this person at this time in your life when you need her so much - it's that awesome!I hope you can move into your new home and "settle in" real soon.
Yeah, friends make the world a better place to be!
Thank you for your lovely words on a previous blog entry; as you know, I was a little busy so was unable to comment on it right away.
I am home from my adventure now (hooray) and will be back to my regular blogging routine shortly (hooray again).
Glad to hear things are on the up even if the brain is feeling a little fried ~ keep smiling Chelle!
With love, Liz
Post a Comment