Of course I didn't wait before he had the door to the exam room closed before stating, "We have much to discuss." He laughed and said we always do. He sat down on his stool and said, "Talk to me." I then began telling him what I had decided. He first asked if my insurance covered treatments. No, I am not that lucky. What he then told me was this:
- A couple who has been trying unsuccessfully for 2 years to get pregnant stands a 1% chance at getting pregnant on their own.
- Doing a non-medicated IUI only increases that chance from 1% to 2%. A negligible difference, and not worth it.
- Adding clomid bumps it to 14-15%.
- Doing a full medicated IUI bumps it to 25%.
Dr. D also agreed to doing another laparoscopy early next year if we don't get pregnant this year.
Next he checked out things for this month. On CD19 I still had not ovulated. I also had no CM. So before leaving his office, I slapped on a patch. I went back in today, CD21, and found that I still have not ovulated. My response was, "Dr D this is not good!" We then talked about the possibility of getting pregnant with such an old egg. He said the latest he has seen someone ovulate and still get pregnant was CD24. He offered to trigger ovulation today, but I told him I didn't think it would work out this month anyway. Might as well save the $$$ and try again next month with a patch and clomid.
What I have realized this year is the doctor who removed my septum back in 2007 really screwed me over. His decision to cut, rather than shave, has cost me my fertility. Because of his choice, I had placental abruption with BB, which caused a rupture, which didn't heal correctly, which required more surgery, which removed a section of my uterus, which means I no longer create enough estrogen to not only mature my follicles quick enough, but I also no longer create enough CM.
All because of the decision to cut over shave.
The last three months have proven that I cannot get pregnant without medical intervention, and you know what? That sucks! It sucks a LOT. And it makes me so mad.
What is even harder is I have to draw a line somewhere. I have to decide when to say enough is enough and lay down the law with myself as to when I throw in the towel. And I know that has to be before doing injectables again, because let's face it, injetables WACK YOU OUT! There is no way I can do that to my husband again, and there is certainly no way on God's green earth I can do that to BB.
So the plan now is to do clomid with a patch Aug-Nov. Take December off, and do a laparoscopy early next year. Depending on what the surgery finds, we will go from there.
Clomid, open up your lovin' arms cause here I come.






11 Thoughts:
Praying that clomid does the trick!!! Stupid IF and stupid doctor that did that to you! I'll be rooting you along the whole way!
i'm so sorry that the surgery you had to remove the septum hampered your fertility. grrr! so frustrating! i wish people knew what they were doing better. i'm sorry that you are angry that you can not get pg w/o medical treatments. yes, it sucks big time! BIG TIME!.... For me, clomid wacks me out works than injectibles... but I think it's just different for everyone. So yay Clomid!!! GO girl, go. :-) Rooting for you.
argh, i'm so sorry about that dumba$$ doc :-(.
Yay clomid! GL!
Man, that sure does suck soooo much sweetie. :(
I sure hope you don't have to worry about the lap and you're pregnant before the end of the year. I will be praying so very hard.
Love you sweetie. ((HUGS))
Sounds like you have a good dr now. It's nice that he's honest with you about IUI and not making you spend the money to do it!
I hope the clomid works! Wishing you the best in the next couple of months!!
C'mon clomid! Let's work!!!
I hate that previous doc, with all my heart...
God bless you it all sucks. I know I can never go back to it.
As for the later getting pg thing, Drs say that all the time, and it's such a crock. I had a successful pregnancy from an egg at cd 32, and have seen much later than that. It doesn't necessarily mean the egg has been growing that long or is old at all. (and I got pg wo intervention after metformin therapy)
Oh man, Clomid makes me crazy, short-tempered, ill humored, and just plain sweaty. I agree with the getting chocolate and looking for our weekend. I like your plan... and your doc this time.
I've got everything crossed that you don't even have to approach another lap at all... Seriously praying for you friend!
I hope that the clomid works for you!
I hope the Clomid welcomes you with lovin' arms. I don't know what it's like to be in your position and I wish once again like I have many times that I had the perfect thing to say to comfort you. I am here if you ever need to talk.
Post a Comment