Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

One of Us Had Better Get Pregnant!

As you can tell by the fact that my last post was over a week ago, things have been pretty on the go around here lately. I attribute it to the fact that the weather is decent and the days are longer, which makes me spend more time with the fam. Baby Bean has been going to bed almost a full hour later than she does in the winter. Most nights I don't even put her in the bath until the sun starts to go down at almost 9:00 at night. Some nights she doesn't get to bed before 10:00. I just can't help it though. I like keeping her up late with me. However, that means I get to bed later than normal too, most nights not getting to sleep until after midnight. So, blog posting and reading takes an obvious back seat. But that is not what I wanted to tell you all about tonight.

Over the past month I apparently subconsciously picked up on signals from my dog that she was about to go into heat. I knew it would be some time soon, but I have been putting off getting ready to breed her by reading up on breeding, welping, and raising puppies. I have been putting off buying the necessary items for having puppies around, the biggest one being a large enclosure followed by figuring out what I want to do for a welping box. (For those who don't know, welping is delivering puppies.)

Just before we went on vacation, literally the night before, I got the hair-brained idea to run to Lo.wes to buy a dog run. I'll get into the whys later (or maybe not, because who really cares why I felt the urgent need to buy it). Since we got back from vacation, I have had a nagging feeling it was time to read up on breeding, dog pregnancy, and all that jazz, so last week I finally found a book and downloaded it onto my Kin.dle (after downloading and reading through four different book samples).

The day after I found the right book, I noticed my Mags was in heat. Huh. Weird. Then last weekend I decided to take my dogs to the vet this week to get them flea and tick shots that last 6 months, rather than doing monthly flea and tick treatments that require me to bathe my dogs, greasy from the meds, 24 hours later. While at the vet, I asked them to ensure Mags really was in heat. The vet offered to do a smear to see how far along in her cycle she was because I was planning on taking her to my MIL's house to breed with her male the weekend of the 10th. After getting the results from the test, he told me I should take my dog this weekend (today) and leave her for the next week because she was far enough along in her cycle, she would be ready for breeding as soon as Saturday (again, today).

I had planned to take this weekend to just relax after a hectic weekend of constant cleaning, cooking, and entertaining all last weekend, but as we all know, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." As soon as I left the vet I was on the phone to my MIL asking if Mags could spend the next week with her. Thankfully, my MIL was very wonderful about it and told me to bring her on down.

Right now my precious pooch is spending her first ever night away from home while I sit home without her. Sure we have spent nights apart when I go somewhere, but she has never gone somewhere to spend the night while I sat at home without her. I would like to say I am sad and lonely, but that wouldn't be true. You see, I have my Sadie dog who is soaking up being an only-dog tonight, and Mags, well, she's getting some action. ;) Maggie and Tate were getting along very well while we were there. :D

I do find it rather ironic that the month I decide to take a break from TTC is the month my dog goes into heat. That even though we didn't stress about getting me pregnant by timing everything just right, I did get to worry about timing everything just right for getting my dog pregnant. I chuckle every time I think about it. Even funnier is how closely our cycles coincided. It's weird how things go sometimes, isn't it?

But here's the kicker: if Mags does get pregnant, her pups will be born around the middle of August. We had been talking about taking my little brother on vacation with us in September, but if I have a litter of 1-month-old pups, I'm not going anywhere. I talked with my husband about waiting until Mags went into heat again next, but we had also been talking about going on vacation again in May, and if we waited for Maggie's fall heat, her pups would be born right around May. Again, I laugh.

So, as with my own conception plans, I have just handed it all over to God, and am letting her get pregnant in God's time too. All I have to say is that one of us had better get pregnant this year.

7 Thoughts:

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

You make me smile. :) You are soooo cute. I hope Mags is knocked up. :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Awww, I want to see puppy preggo pics when the time comes! So super cute, can't wait.

Sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Awww, it will be so fun to have puppies!!

We keep Henry up until between 9:30 and 10 too! I am so glad to hear another family lets their two year old stay up late :)

Alex said... [Reply to comment]

So funny. I can't wait to hear all about Mags' pregnancy!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

All I have to say is.... Good luck girls!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Ahhh, I love this post. LOVE IT! And I am totally not surprised that you knew exactly when she was in heat - you are good like that. I hope that the action did the trick, puppies are so fun. We did that once with my Jack Russell and I loved every minute of it. There is nothing better than having teeny tiny little puppies around to love on. Ooooh, we will be there in August - maybe I will get some puppy love - I love their nasty puppy breath.

Isn't life funny - planning vacations and fun around your dog being pregnant - oh the things we do for the one's we love! ;)

Suzanne said... [Reply to comment]

I hope that Mags has puppies! Puppies are just so cute :) I'm looking forward to seeing plenty of puppy pictures :)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary