Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All of Her Latest Firsts

Even though my daughter has already been on this planet outside of "the package" for over two years, she has experienced a lot of firsts these past few weeks. It is so much fun to look and her and think about how she has never done these things before. I remember when she was first born, I was so excited about the fact that everything was new to her. That I would get to teach her about everything and watch her experience it all for the first time.

Baby Bean has been on planes many times already, but our trip to Cancun a couple of weeks ago was her first vacation. It was also her first time going outside of the U.S. Her first time on a beach. Her first time seeing the ocean and playing in it. Her first time building a sand castle, or even playing in the sand. I loved that vacation even more because so much of it was brand spanking new to her.

Then last weekend I got the bug to go buy her a tricycle. Her first bike. She loves the thing, and I love watching her figure out how to push the pedals. Even more, I loved watching my husband, her daddy, teach her how to ride it.



As if that wasn't enough firsts, I decided one night over the weekend that it was time to paint her toe nails. Within minutes she had pretty toe nails the same color as mama's. Every day since then whenever I change her diaper or get her dressed for the day, she asks if her pretty toe nails are still there. Yes, baby, they are, and they are so pretty.

Monday was also her first day in her new Montessori school. For those of you who don't know what that is, Montessori is a different method of teaching children. Everything they learn is hands on instead of out of a book. Instead of seeing 1+1=2 in a book, they have something like blocks, and they can see and feel that one block + one block = two blocks. The children learn quicker and easier and test higher than when taught through traditional means.

Every day her daycare sends home a sheet that tells us what she learned that day, as well as what she ate, what time her diaper was changed, etc. My favorite part of reading through what she learned yesterday was, "I learned Mandarin Chinese." That's right, my daughter is being taught Chinese! Not only that, she is being taught Spanish as well. She also has time devoted to music classes where she learns from a teacher who was trained at Juliard. She will leave that school being tri-lingual.

I know this all sounds hoity-toity, but anyone who knew me when I was pregnant and ever asked, "What do you want most for your baby?" knows that my answer was always, "I want her to be smarter than me." And I'm no dummy. After leaving this school, my daughter will be smarter than me. I can't tell you how much I love this daycare and how it will help her all throughout her life.

The best comment I have had so far was when I went to pick her up after her first day. Her teacher asked if my daughter had transferred from another Montessori school. When I replied that she had been going to traditional daycare, the teacher was surprised. She said my daughter was so well-behaved and learned new things very quickly. She went on to give me examples. I was beaming on the inside. I told the teacher that was why we changed schools, because we wanted to give our daughter every advantage when it came to learning. Her dad and I are so happy and excited about her potential in the new school. In fact, when I picked her up today, her teacher told me Baby Bean was using the potty regularly, and she wants to start full on potty training her in a few weeks, once Baby Bean is settled in the new environment a little more.

As I have said before, I am so happy with my life right now and the way everything is going. I know I am so blessed, and I don't take any of it for granted.

My most favorite moment this week: tonight when I was snuggled up next to Baby Bean in her toddler bed she looked at me and said, "Mom, you're my best friend." Oh.My.Gosh! I melted. Puddle of mom on the bed, melted. I could not possibly love my child more.

12 Thoughts:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Yeah for firsts - they are so fun!! I love the trike picture, she is growing up so fast, she looks so darn tall on that thing. And the new school sounds great, I am glad she is adjusting well and yeah for potty training, that's always a perk! Such a smart little girl!

I seriously started crying at the Best Friend comment, if they only knew how much their words mean. That is so sweet, so, so sweet! You sure have a keeper on your hands, she is one of a kind!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Aww what a gorgeous post!

Alex said... [Reply to comment]

I'd like to bottle the mom-love coming off the screen right now - it's fabulous!

Love all the firsts - she's turning into quite the amazing little girl.

Kahla said... [Reply to comment]

This Mommy gig is the toughest ever, but isn't it awesome? I too love all the firsts, it's absolutely amazing! Ya'll should move this way, Emery and here could be good friends! ;o)

Mazzy said... [Reply to comment]

What a lovely post. She is such a darling child. Nothing has made my heart so full of joy above that of being a mom. My high moment was very similar this week, when L reached out and hugged my neck and smooshed my face and said, unprompted, "love you, mama" after church last night. It is like an amazing high time and time again with them, right? And this age where they are old enough to express love and admiration back? Oh, it is just divinity.

I think I am familiar with the Montessori she is in right now. I have another friend whose child was in it previously and they loved it. What a blessing!! I think that's the only way I could ever go to work full time, is if we had that kind of facility near by (we SO don't) and if I made enough to afford it. Praise GOD you can. I am so glad you and she are so happy.
xoxo

twondra said... [Reply to comment]

Aww you do sound like such a proud mom! I would be too. :) You sound like a wonderful best friend!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Oh so exciting, what a smart little bean you already have, she's so cute! Hope you're going to post about your vacation, did she LOVE the beach? You've given me a great reminder to drink in those "firsts" so easy to take them for granted. So glad she's settled in so well and easily to the new school, takes so much anxiety off you guys too.
((HUGS))

mckala7 said... [Reply to comment]

Awwwwwwwwwww... yes that's so cool about her first trip to the beach and building the sand castles. I'm also looking forward to the ocean "firsts" at the end of the summer. :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Man, I love Montessori, ours our sooo pricey but man education for a kiddo absolutely comes first. I love watching "firsts" too. Such an amazing satisfying thrill.

S.I.F. said... [Reply to comment]

My heart just melted too! What a sweet thing for her to say! And I'm loving that she is jumping into so many firsts right now! I've heard such amazing things about Montessori schools! Glad you're loving hers!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I love reading your posts about Baby Bean. I've heard those schools are amazing. They do some crazy fun field trips as well. She will do very well at the school. I can't wait to read more brag posts about her. :)

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Wonderful!!! So sweet.


And I'm where you are with TTC and love it too!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary