Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Adjectives

  • Anxiety
  • Disdain
  • Despair
  • Heartbreak
  • Pain
  • Loathing
  • Anger
  • Sadness

I could go on and on. These are all adjectives I associate with pregnancy tests. I hate them. I hate them with every fiber of my being. I hate the way it makes me feel when I even think about peeing on one of them. I hate the panic attack it sends me into when I do use one. I hate those moments where my heart pounds heavy in my ears, my breathing accelerates, and I have to sit there and try to calm myself down as I wait for the results. I hate the crushing, heavy feeling that comes over me as I view yet another BFN. "I knew it." Yet I dared to hope.

AF is still MIA, but I can't stand the thought of peeing on a stick. If I do use one, it literally has to be spur of the moment, and I have to do it before I lose my nerve. Of course I sit there and hate myself as the seconds tick by until I see what I was expecting, "ROFLMAO!!!" says the pregnancy test.

I can't stomach the idea of using one. In fact, I refused a pregnancy test when I was first pregnant with my daughter when I went to see a doctor about my dizzy spells. I then refused a pregnancy test three times when I met my OB for the first time, but finally relented because I had to pee really bad. My first BFP was in a doctor's office. That is the one and only time I have ever seen two pink lines that belonged to me in my life.

If I ovulated when I think I did, AF was MIA starting on Friday. I didn't say one word to Hubs until Sunday night, and even then it was only brought up in casual conversation. He told me not to bother peeing on a stick again until at least Wednesday, but that I should probably wait until Friday.

Monday night we were playing with Baby Bean and her new Le.go farm that she got for Christmas when I mentioned AF still had not shown. I then told him about how I would rather go see my RE about a missing period than pee on a stick. He told me to wait until Friday, and if my period still didn't show, to call my RE on Monday. "Forget Wednesday, put it off as long as you can. I say don't test until Friday."

That night I got in one of those "Do it now!" moments. It was 8:00 at night. I had to pee really bad. In a spur of the moment, I grabbed a FRER and went to work. Negative. Of course. What did I expect?

I have spent the last couple of days going over the last 16 days again and again in my head. Am I sure my positive OPK was on CD15? I thought so, but no. Should I have kept testing past CD15? I did. I tested on CD16 and 18, they were negative. I watched my surge ebb. When did my girls get sore? CD16, but it went away. CD17, but it went away. CD18 and it stayed, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it normally is. Must be the estrogen patches. Here I am CD30, and now they don't hurt AT ALL. They haven't hurt for days. The only other time this happened is when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Am I sure I didn't ovulate later than I thought? Yes. How do I know? Cause my girls got sore, and they only do that after ovulation. But didn't they do that when I didn't ovulate before my laparoscopy in 2007? Yes, but then I had spotting 7 days before AF would rear because I had low progesterone. I have had zero spotting so far. So yes, I ovulated, and it was earlier than later.

Maybe I am pregnant. But the tests keep coming back negative.

Do I have symptoms? Yes, but... they can all be explained by some medication I'm on right now. Or can they?

"What if I'm not pregnant? I can't think straight. What if I'm not? What does it mean? Have the estrogen patches messed me up so bad that I would miss a period? Crap! I should call me RE tomorrow. No! He'll make me take a pregnancy test! What do I do?"

Breathe.

Either I am or I'm not. There isn't anything I can do about it if I'm not except find out what's going on, pick up the pieces, and move forward.

Am I the only infertile who feels this way? Does anyone else go through all of these thoughts nearly every second of every day when AF is late? Someone out there please tell me I'm not losing it.

The odd thing us, I was totally calm about all of this up until today. Maybe it was going back to work and not being able to relax that kicked me out of my zen. Or maybe it is because I am closer to Wednesday/Friday and the time for action (i.e., taking a test) is getting closer, and the mere thought of peeing on a stick literally sends me into a full blown panic attack. It was easier to be zen when I could put off taking a test.

The bottom line is I can't do it. I can't take a pregnancy test. I am not peeing on a stick in the morning and that is that. The question now becomes, when do I call my RE? I hate to wait until Friday and then face the possibility of torturing myself all weekend. But I also hate the idea of doing it tomorrow and being told to take a test.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: I have an appt with my RE on Friday morning. Here we go....

16 Thoughts:

Jill said... [Reply to comment]

I am sorry you have to go through this to get what you want. I feel so removed from that right now but only because i have no desire to be pregnant right now. Honestly, when I really think about getting pregnant again I think about all of that stuff. I remember it consuming my thoughts all day every day. It's always there, at the back of your mind. I hope you can do your best to relax about things, but I know that is so hard. I hope you get that BFP soon!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

I also LOATHE the pregnancy test. LOATHE. I'm like you. . . I'd rather go to an RE's office and have my blood drawn and get a phone call telling me I'm not pregnant. I've seen too many one lined pregnancy tests in my life to ever have a loving relationship with them.

Just wanted to let you know I'm always thinking of you, and am always here for you in any way.

Life Happens said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so sorry it's so hard for you right now. All us IF's have been there. Do I test? Do I not? It drives one crazy!!!

I hope that you are able to see the RE and they can test for you. Good luck!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

I wish I could think of something inspired to say to make it better for you...but I dont know that there is. Know that I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

M.A said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Chelle- I'm a new reader and Im glad I found your blog. I know that I'm not the only one out there struggling with infertility. I totally feel your pain... You are not alone. I hate thinking about taking a test because I know the answer already!

I am currently in the TWW period after an IUI on Dec. 24th- I am supposed to test this Friday- no sign of AF and no other symptoms at all... I know that I'm not pg so freaking AF show up already! Instead of me having to put myself through testing again and seeing only one line... I wish AF would just show up already!! I am so tired of going through this every single month!

Keep your head up- let's hope for another little Bean soon!!!

Alex said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I hate pregnancy tests - absolutely hate them. And yet I keep peeing on them... I really need to stop this!

Hope it's positive soon...

AL said... [Reply to comment]

I hate pregnancy tests. I think all infertiles do, even those that are serial testers hate them.

I'm glad you have an appointment scheduled with the RE and you'll have an answer in a couple of days. Hang in there xo.

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

Oh man those words are so true - I hate pg tests too. Mainly because even next time I see a positive I'll be afraid of miscarriage - it's all so terrifying and it's maddening that it's so care free and simple for other people! Anyways I'll be praying for you! Much love to you! (((hugs)))

M.A said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Chelle- I'm a new reader and I'm glad to have found your blog. I am in the same journey with you. What's worse is that I think sometimes these fertility drugs delay AF coming so you have that glimmer of hope because you're late and you test fervently hoping you will get the answer you've been hoping for then BOOM- you come crashing down into reality.

I am currently in the TWW period (IUI on the 24th) AF hasn't shown up yet, I'm on day 30 today and I'm pretty regular between 28 to 31 days- so I'm technically not yet late... but I know- just know that AF is going to show up any day now...I have no symptomes whatsoever.

I hate looking at those tests- it constantly reminds of of the one thing on this earth I can't seem to get my grasp on.

I am hoping and praying for a little Bean repeat for you soon...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us...

Kahla said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so sorry, I hate pregnancy tests. I hate infertility. I hate the thinking what if and then what if never happening. I hope you get some pleasantly surprising news come Friday, keeping everything crossed for you!

M.A said... [Reply to comment]

Hi thanks for stopping by... I appreciate the support. One more til Friday- hope you get the answer you've been waiting to hear from your RE

Sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I hate them too. HATE. But I never let more than 24 hours go past expected AF without taking one. Mainly because I get my hopes up. And hope is a killer for me. I can take a negative test on the day AF is due and be okay, but five days late... I am picking out nursery colors and thinking of names if I want to be or not. My mind just goes there. I have to put a stop to it before it starts.

Hope your appointment went well this morning. I am thinking of you!

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I know that feeling. I hate it! For a little while I switched to the tests with the words "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant." I stopped that quickly, because it stung so much more to see it spelled out like that.

I've been following you for a few weeks now and actually just dropped by to tell you that I awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award! Check it out here. Of course, if you don't do awards, that's ok too :)

Meara at Not Twenty-Seven Yet

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Hang in there lovely lady, I'm rooting for you and anxious to hear what the doc had to say. Sending positive preggo vibes your way.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said... [Reply to comment]

Oh hun, I'm so sorry that you're on this roller coaster. I'm really hoping that you get your BFP, like, now. ((hugs))

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry Chelle. It all sucks.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary