Yesterday I had to drive an hour to the hospital where the surgery will be performed. For some of you that doesn't sound like a big deal, but there is a hospital 5 minutes from where I live, another one 15 minutes from where I live, and another one 20 minutes from where I live. There is no lack of hospitals right near my house, yet I have to go clear to the other side of the world for this stupid surgery when there is NO reason it can't be done closer to home. Yes, I already asked to have it moved to a closer location.
I digress, so I drove an hour to this hospital for me pre-op appointment, and let me tell you, I was anything but pleased with the location. I thought, "Great. Its going to happen HERE? This place is in a slum!" Then I apparently parked on the opposite corner from where I needed to be, after spending 15 minutes looking for a parking space, and had to sprint from one end of the massive hospital to the other where I was late for my appointment... in which I filled out paperwork... and that's it.
I was annoyed to no end.
Dr. D says I have to be able to pass gas and walk down the hall before I can be discharged. After yesterday, I will be tooting up a storm ASAP and doing cartwheels down the hall after the anesthesia wears off if that is what it takes to get me out of there and back home.
I have no idea how things will work the day of the surgery as far as Baby Bean is concerned. My procedure is supposed to be at 1:00, but I'm realistic. I bet I don't get pulled back until after 5:00. I am not sure if they will let us take her to the hospital with us, and even if they do, what is Hubs going to do with her all day? She has to eat and take a nap. We could leave her at daycare and have someone pick her up and take her home that night, but I don't know how well she would handle that. Most likely what will happen is Hubs will drop me off and go home after I am taken back. I really wanted him there when I woke up so that he could get the information from Dr. D for me. I also wanted him there because I will fight off the anesthesia quicker if I know he is waiting to see me, but I guess I can't have everything.
So that is where I am. Annoyed and wanting to just be done with all of this crap already. It is a speed bump in the road, and one that I can't dodge. I'd like it to be quick like ripping off a band aide so I can move on and put it all behind me already.






7 Thoughts:
I'm pretty sure that someone has to stay in the waiting room at all times when you're in surgery, just in case they need permission to do something if an emergency arises. I might be wrong, but that's been my experience. Just something you may want to consider... =)
When I had my lap, it was scheduled for 1:00, and I was taken back to prep right at 1:00 and was probably in the OR by 1:45. Hopefully, you'll have a similiar experience, even if you are slumming it. ;)
Good luck. Hope you can get back in the game asap.
I can totally understand you just wanting to be done and get this over with so you can move on with your life.
I hope everything comes together the day of the surgery and that the hospital isn't so bad afterall.
UGH! What a pain in the butt. I hope you can figure out something a way to have some one watch over Baby Bean so hubs can be there for you.
Oh wow. I don't blame you for being annoyed. I'm excited for your surgery! I hope things work out with Baby Bean!
Good luck! I'll be thinking about you!
I know exactly what you mean about being over surgeries... exactly. I really am afraid I am going to need another lap pre-IVF; not because I am afraid of surgery, but because I just don't want to do it again.
For both of my laps I didn't have anyone in the waiting room. The doctor and nurses just had my dads and friends numbers and called when I was done. Still... it would be nice if hubby could be there with you until you get carted off. I wish I was close enough to babysit for you! :)
Ugh, like going through surgery wasn't enough...but all this planning and prep stuff does sound annoying!! I hope you figure out a good game plan for baby bean so the hubs can be there for you. I'm just so excited for you to get it over with! Thinking of you hun!!
Post a Comment