The Third Trimester!!!
That's right. I hit 28 weeks yesterday. I don't know why the exhaustion decided it couldn't wait until the trimester officially began, but it reared its ugly head a full week early. I also thought that Baby Bean still had plenty of room to do flips and barrel rolls, but if she looks anything like she does here, she probably isn't going to be doing much more flipping and rolling. I guess we're both running out of space. lol
We had a wonderful visitor at our house this weekend too. My dad came out! AA had a fare sale for this weekend, so I pulled out the credit card and bought my pappy a ticket. He flew in Saturday around noon and we took him straight for the best Texas BBQ around here. We spent the rest of the day talking about life, watching some TV (intermixed with football scores for dad), and a movie. Sunday afternoon we sat around and talked some more, took naps, and then went to Sweetie's and my favorite Cajun restaurant for some serious crawfish. Before we knew it, the weekend was over and Monday morning came unpleasantly soon. After just a day and a half visit, my dad went back home. :( I felt depressed about it all night. I have been really blessed the last three weekends with my little brother coming out, my going home, and then my dad coming out. Now I won't see any of my family again until the baby is born and my mom comes out to help the new parents get accustomed to their new roles. We're going to see Sweetie's family weekend after this, but they aren't MY family, so it provides little comfort. Not only that, but we might not get to go at all now (see the following).
Last Thursday I was supposed to have my 4-week checkup. I had been having menstrual-like cramping lately, but didn't bother to call the doctor's office because I always get sent to the nurse's voice mail to leave a message that rarely gets returned without my calling back a second time. Like the time I nearly passed out at work complete with lights out. I'm no doctor, but I'm sure a pregnant woman passing out isn't a good thing, so I didn't appreciate the lack of interest on the nurse's part. It turned out I have anemia, and if I nearly pass out again, I get a free ride in an ambulance, which is what should have happened the first time (sounds pretty damn serious to me! So I send a BIG thank you to the nurses who sent me to voice mail and didn't return my call)! I also didn't want to call because IF the nurses return my call, they treat me like I am a big inconvenience. I am never snotty or rude, but they sure are snotty and rude to me. I'm calling because I am concerned and/or worried. Why does that merit the nurse's rude behavior? Between those two things, I don't bother to call when anything goes wrong anymore. I will just stick it out.
I digress. I needed my appointment last week because of the cramping, which I have read is NOT a good thing. But I chose to spare myself leaving two voice mail messages and dealing with snotty nurses because I was supposed to go in on Thursday anyway. Then Wednesday afternoon, a snotty nurse called to tell me that my appointment for the following morning was being cancelled. I almost cried. I thought, "Here we go." I explained to her that I needed to see my doctor and why. Her response, you ask? An exasperated, "I will transfer you to the nurse's voice mail." Oh good. Thank you. I will leave a message that won't be returned and talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment if my baby is still in there. Thanks for your understanding. ARGH!
Oddly enough, someone actually DID call me back within a few hours and I was told to come in and see the doctor on call. The diagnosis: braxton hicks. But I don't believe it. The cramps are always in the same place and my stomach does not harden when I get them. On top of that, my pelvic floor started aching on Saturday and has not let up since. According to what I've read, neither of those things are good.
At any rate, my appointment was rescheduled for tomorrow, and I fully intend to bring up the cramps and pain, ask if I will still be okay to drive 10 hours to Sweetie's grandpa's next week (since the dr last Wednesday told me not if the cramps don't let up), and let my doctor know about the snotty nurse situation. I sure don't want to have to leave a voice mail if I go into labor early, especially as I am considered high risk and should not give birth naturally because it could kill me!
Other than the nurse ordeal, everything is going great. The pregnancy is picture perfect. Next week we go in for our 3D ultrasound and I can't wait.






4 Thoughts:
I'm glad you got to see your Dad. Sounds like you had a great time.
As for the nurses....I can't make any excuses for them. I don't understand how someone who works in a field like that can lack the empathy that would lead them to treat a concern seriously. I'm very sorry that you have to deal with that.
That is one of the reasons that I am going to be a midwife. Because I know from experience how important it is to have someone on the other end of the phone that takes you seriously and will do what they can when it comes to your needs. I wish I could be that for you.
That being said, I think you are an excellent advocate for yourself, something I wish everyone was. We really need to speak up when it comes to protecting our children. You are already a great Mom!
I hope things improve and the doctor really listens to you at your appointment and I hope that everything is fine and healthy.
I would love to send you a little knitted something for your babe, but that's up to you. For now, I'll send a hug and my best wishes.
I can't believe how rude they are to you! You should continue to be persistant with them, even if you do have to leave voicemail after voicemail. I'm glad to hear everything else is going great, and what a treat to see your Dad, that's awesome!! Can't wait to see the 3D pics!
PS. Thanks for your comments, you're so sweet. Yeah we do go under a general for ER here, is that just an Australian thing?? ((HUGS))
I'm glad to read that you're going to tell your doctor about the snotty nurse. I'm sure he'll appreciate knowing about it too.
Your pregnant belly is so cute!
I can't beleive how stupid those nurses are being. I just hope that you don't put off your wellness because you don't want to deal with them. I am also very proud of you for having it brought to your Dr's attention. Take care of yourself and the baby.
Post a Comment