Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

One Holiday Down

I got a call from my doctor's office Tuesday afternoon just before we were going to head out of town for Thanksgiving that I had elevated blood levels from the glucose test I took the week before. As I am super emotional right now and cry very easily, I choked back my tears and tried to steady my voice when the nurse asked when I was available to take the 3-hour fasting glucose test. I replied, "I am sure we need to do it sooner than later, right?" She replied they could get me in the next day, and I informed her I would be going out of town in a few hours. Somehow I managed to schedule my screening for Monday at 8:30 without crying, but as soon as I hung up the phone, tears streamed down my face. I knew it! I just knew it! When my doctor told me at my last appointment that I had gained a little too much weight between that appointment and the one 4 weeks before, I thought, "I bet I have gestational diabetes." My sister did. My brother has Type 1 diabetes and has had since he was 4. I tried to be careful during my pregnancy, but I admit I didn't try hard enough. So now I sit here, braced for the diagnosis after tomorrow's "try not to vomit after you drink this nasty drink on an empty stomach" test. Did I also mention it is a FASTING glucose test that lasts THREE hours? Who needs food when you're 30 weeks pregnant?

I am really glad the Thanksgiving weekend is over. We spent over 24 hours in the car over a short 4-day period. My ankles and fingers swelled up so bad it wasn't even funny. We broke the trip up into segments, stopping overnight in Houston each way, but it did little to alleviate the swelling. At one point I joked with Hubs that one of my ankles had a goiter because it was so swollen. Not only that, but I don't sleep well in strange beds as a rule, and haven't been sleeping well the last couple weeks due to being pregnant because it is uncomfortable to lay in any one position for an extended period of time.

I did, however, really enjoy catching up with Hub's family, especially his grandpa who is so excited to be a great-grandpa. We spent Thanksgiving day at grandpa's girlfriend's house. She made a fantastic dinner and an even more awesome pecan pie that Hubs and I ate between just the two of us. :D You had better believe I got the recipe. We also enjoyed showing off the 3D scans of our baby girl to all of his friends and family. It was a novelty to all of them as well, and they all loved it as much as we did. None of them had seen anything like it before.

Hopefully I will be able to finish getting the nursery cleaned out and set up this week. I also hope that I will be able to get our little Christmas tree out and set up. I contemplated decorating our house for the holidays, but realized I would be 8.5 months pg when I had to take it down, and so opted to only put up a tree. *sigh* Perhaps next year I will be able to be a bit more festive with our baby girl who will be almost a year old by then. (WOW!)

4 Thoughts:

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

I have the test tomorrow.... I am dreading it. I am so sorry you have to go back for the 3 hour-UGH!! Fingers crossed you pass this one.. but if you don't, I know you will make it through. It sucks, but whatever we have to do for the little girls, we have to do, right?
I am contemplating scaling back on holiday decorations this year, too. Thinking about taking them down in a month makes me want to hurl.
*hugs*

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Don't blame yourself sweetie. It's so little under our control.

Congrats on the girl!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry that you had to do that dreaded 3 hour test. I know unfortunately exactly how you feel on the swelling. I hope yours ends up going down. I'm glad to hear that you were able to travel safely and the you got to spend some time with his family and friends. Nothing beats being with those you love.

Boo said... [Reply to comment]

I failed the 1 hour test miserably, but I managed to pass the 3 hour just fine. Did they give you a special diet to eat for 3 days beforehand? Mine did. Oh...if they give you a choice, opt for the fruit punch over the orange.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary