Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

I Earned It

I should be running off to shower right now and getting ready for bed, but the best thing ever happened today. Before I divulge what it was, I want to start out by saying that the past few days I have been going through some of my old blog posts. I'm not sure what brought about the desire to remember just how far I've come. Perhaps it is because one year ago I was completely discouraged on the baby front. I was ready to throw in the towel. I had undergone infertility treatments for almost two years and met with disappointment after disappointment. Flushed money down the drain in the hopes of being a mommy. Hopes that were met with pain, heartache, and discouragement. I had undergone moderate surgery that left me hurting for months afterward and wondering if it was all worth it, wondering if it would be the cure.

In reading through my old posts, it drudged up those old feelings again. Some of them even made me cry. Life was hard for us during that time. On top of AF darkening my door every month instead of a positive pregnancy test, I was in a job I just plain hated. We were in a situation that never felt permanent. My house never felt like home. I was always waiting for something bigger and better; the next chapter. I continually felt like our ship had to come in sometime, but when? I was so miserable. The things I had going for me were that I had the most wonderful, understanding husband in the world, a very supportive and loving family, and the awesomest dog ever. It doesn't sound so bad, right? Try being hopped up on synthetic hormones, wishing for the one thing you want more than ever and not being able to obtain it when it should be your God-given rite. Infertility took over my life and put such a dark cloud over me that some days I had a hard time coping. I can't even count how many days I was running on auto-pilot. To top it off, I had no one who knew what I was going through to talk to about it all. I had no real life friends living close by.

Something had to give. I realized, I had to make it give. I couldn't sit around anymore and wait for my doctor to see if my surgery fixed our problem, but I also couldn't bring myself to bear the thought of sitting in the waiting room with all of the other pregnant women again while I was there for my next round of shots or ultrasound to check folicles and not babies. It was time to move on.

Flash forward to now and I can't believe how much our lives have changed, even in just a year's time. Our ship did come in. I landed the job of a lifetime that pulled me from the dark abyss that was my life. It was the beginning of something even more grand.

Now I will tell you what happened to me today. Around 3:00 while I was plugging away and modifying a standard operating procedure, a gentleman appeared with a box for me. I knew immediately what it was: my mother's day flowers. The flowers that I have honestly wanted and ached for since trying to become a mother over three years ago. Hubs wouldn't buy them for me unless I was a mother, so every single mother's day was a stab in the heart to my infertile self. Sometimes I bought things for myself from the dog just to make me feel better.

As you can imagine, my heart swelled and so many thoughts and feelings went through my head as I opened the box to reveal 24 red roses and a card that said, "Happy mother's day! Hubs and Baby Bean." I just kept thinking, "I worked so hard for these," as I looked at them, the card, and pictures of my baby. "I've finally made it. I'm a mother." Within seconds I had tears streaming down my face. My emotions were mixed with love, euphoria, excitement, heartache, pain, and remembrance. I literally earned those flowers and they mean more to me than words can express. Even now my eyes are welling up. I placed the vase next to my dry erase board where my dear friend had written, "Baby Bean arrived February 2nd at 8:01 a.m." and took a picture. I pinned the card up to my cubicle wall under a picture of my baby.

It was a long, hard road, but one that was absolutely worth it. I earned those flowers.

8 Thoughts:

Cece said... [Reply to comment]

I go back and read my old posts all the time - I'm often amazing at how shitty thing were, but I still kept trudging on.

I'm crying over hear reading about your flowers... Aaron is VERY excited about whatever it is he got me for mother's day - and I'm forcing him to wait until Sunday.

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

Isn't being a mother one of the best feelings in the world! Just wait until you hear your baby say "Mom" or "Mama". It melts your heart.

Two Hands said... [Reply to comment]

You did earn them. I'm so glad you've made it so far and finally found your dreams. It's been wonderful walking with you through this blog. I look forward to much more joy to come.
Happy Mother's Day, a million times over.

Infertility is Hard said... [Reply to comment]

I'm crying reading your post. I'm so happy that you are in such a better place. It gives me hope that I too will get out of this dark place I'm in and have a happy ending. Happy Mother's Day to you. :-D

Pretty Practicals said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Chelle, snap! my blog today is about being a mummy too. It must be in the air even from this side of the pond!
With love, Liz

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful. Good job Hub. :)

La La said... [Reply to comment]

This post made me cry. I know exactly how you feel...I used to LOATHE Mother's Day.

We made it! =)

Congrats momma.

..Soo.See.. said... [Reply to comment]

Here from CDLC! So nice to see how things changed in a matter of a year! I read my old posts sometimes too and it takes me back in a flash! Yay for your awesome mother's day!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary