Find other Adoption/Loss/Infertility bloggers who share your struggles by visiting the Stirrup Queen's ALI Blog Roll.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Weathering Ike

Over the past weekend I have received a few phone calls, text messages, and emails asking how we weathered Ike. Rest assured, we saw very little of him in our area. We did get some winds and a gusty, rainy day all day Saturday, but that was the extent of his bruteness in our area. Sadie loved it because she got to spend the entire day inside. She usually spends a few hours every day outside because she isn't completely house broken yet. We all spent the whole day inside. I cleaned and I am sure I took a nap in there somewhere. Hubs cleaned out the garage and got his tools situated so that he could start to finish the floors at some point in the near future. I have to say, he did make some very impressive progress. The last empty room in our house (aka The Dojo) is no longer vacant. Our dining room table has been relocated into it, and my sweetie's old table that sat in storage for the last 5 years was moved into the breakfast nook. I kind of like the change!

Last week was completely uneventful, even though it was our anniversary. We just went to a steak dinner, since we will be going to Cayman in the coming weeks, and that is our real anniversary present. Hubs had 52 red roses sent to me at work, and I bought him the hand tuned wind chimes he drooled over at the local nursery a few weeks ago (they sound fantastic!).

Today I am in a slight funk, which I just can't figure out. Ike blew some nice, cool weather in that makes things feel like fall, and I LOVE fall. But I think I'm a little down because I haven't really slept the past few days. Sunday morning at around 5 a.m. I was woken by Maggie having yet another bout of diarrhea all over the bedroom. She covered 3/4 of the walkable space in brown goo. After kicking her outside (no frustrated words or reprimands), I spent over an hour steam cleaning my bedroom carpet. Needless to say, she is no longer allowed in the bedroom, a choice that has me heartbroken, but I am so done cleaning diarrhea out of the bedroom carpet. I have no idea what is going on with my little pooch and why she has had so many bowel issues since we've been here, especially considering she NEVER went to the bathroom in our last house and we were there for a year and a half. I am just totally scratching my head over it all. But I think the excitement (if that's what you want to call it) of cleaning up yet another round of doggie doo out of the white carpet (that came with the house when we bought it 5 months ago [I did NOT choose it, and it is brand new]) and the lack of sleep combined with the constant worry about what is going on with my pooch is probably the cause of my doldrums today.

I think a bit of nesting has already set in as well. For some reason I am in a complete panic that my house must be cleaned from top to bottom and it has to be done RIGHT NOW. I spent the weekend making a list of cleaners I want to purchase, but had to wait until payday (today) to do so. Once I have purchased the cleaners, I am sure all hell will break loose as the scrubbing will begin and will not end for the next four months. I deep cleaned the house over Labor day, and it has amazingly stayed clean since then. I just found a whole other slew of things I want to clean in my boredom of waiting for the house to get dirty again (not a chance!). Which reminds me, one of my blog friends told me that she was sure I would not notice the dog hair whilst cleaning the rest of the house, as it would all just become part of the routine. I just want to say: she was so right. I just don't care about the fur. It vacuums up easily and is gone in a snap. So I vacuum twice a week once the baby is born. Who cares? I am the sick type of woman who loves vacuuming anyway. It is some kind of strange soothing therapy for me. I love pulling out the vacuum, looking at the carpet and thinking "Before", then I begin to vacuum and think, "After" as I look at the change. It tickles me pink. Yep, I need therapy. lol

In pregnancy news, a few ladies from my church stopped by yesterday to welcome me to the congregation. When they asked if they could do anything for me, I told them I needed help baby shopping, as I had no idea what I needed and what products were the best, etc. They were all over that! Two of them said I could call them any time because they love baby shopping. They also offered to help me decorate the nursery when I'm ready. On top of that, they want to throw me a baby shower! At first I declined because I just don't feel right having complete strangers give me baby gifts. It makes me feel bad. But Hubs said that THEY OFFERED, I didn't ask, and he said THEY WANT TO, so I should let them. He said to just make sure that I attend everyone elses baby showers. So with that in mind, I suppose I can consent and not feel bad.

On top of that, the baby has been moving like crazy. Sometimes I forget I'm pregnant and my first instinct is to think that "something wicked this way comes." Then I remember it is a baby punching and kicking me and doing baby gymnastics, and I can't help but smile. I love every little movement. Only two more days until we find out what sex the baby is!

Well, Hubs should be home any minute and then we'll either eat or head to the store to fulfill my cleaning supply list, so I better call this post good. :)

4 Thoughts:

Mel said... [Reply to comment]

I love decorating, and when it comes to nurseries, it's even more fun. I would recommend looking at the babies/children catalog from Pottery Barn. They have so many cute ideas. Ian is 9 months old, and I want to re-do the nursery because of some super cute things I found.

I am anxiously waiting to hear the news of the baby's sex!

Potters said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so glad that some one has offered to help you go shopping and to help set up the nursery. I am so sad that I am not able to come and do that stuff with you. I will however answer any questions or concerns you throw my way. I love that your pregnant and how much you include me. Hey, isn't that what true friends do? You are going to be the BEST mom ever!

Barb said... [Reply to comment]

Glad Ike didn't hurt you guys.

We get all those phone calls every hurricane too. :)

louise said... [Reply to comment]

When I heard Hurricane Ike was heading for Texas I thought of you Michelle. I am so pleased to hear you have escaped the worst. You have the makings of some great friends around you to share in your impending joy. Do take them up on the idea of a baby shower, it will be so much fun for you and the baby! x

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary